How can you help preschoolers with autism thrive in inclusive classrooms? Support their success with this comprehensive, school-based program for children ages 3 to 5 with autism spectrum disorder. Blending best practices from applied behavior analysis and early childhood special education, the DATA Model is a proven program rooted in evidence-based practice and based on 20 years of testing and refinement. First, you'll assess children's functional needs with the DATA Model Skills Checklist
; then you'll use more than 140 instructional programming sheets and lesson plans
to increase children's developmental progress in the areas identified with the checklist. This linked system helps you pinpoint learning goals for children, promote their progress through tailored interventions, and support children in generalizing new skills and behaviors across settings.
A must for autism and behavior specialists, SLPs, program directors, and early childhood special educators, the DATA Model is the all-in-one program you need to prepare young children with autism for long-term success at school and in their community.
USE THE DATA MODEL TO:
- create a developmentally appropriate learning environment
- conduct assessment with the Skills Checklist to determine functional needs and learning goals
- write clear, step-by-step instructional programs and lesson plans for every learning goal
- select and deliver instructional strategies that fit the unique needs of each specific child
- choose and use effective instructional tools such as discrete trials, naturalistic instruction, shaping, and chaining
- embed learning opportunities within classroom activities and routines
- address challenging behavior while increasing childrenâ€™s ability to communicate their needs
- expertly organize children's assessments, programs, and other information for easy access
- collaborate with families and the community to meet the needs of each child
- monitor progress with the Skills Checklist, so you can clearly see if your interventions are working
PRACTICAL MATERIALS: Skills Checklist, 140+ instructional programming sheets and lesson plans, sample schedules, daily data collection sheets, Family Interview Survey, and more. All materials are photocopiable from the manual. Learn more about The DATA Model here.